Home IMMIGRATION How Immigrants Can Secure Jobs with Visa Sponsorship

How Immigrants Can Secure Jobs with Visa Sponsorship


Immigrants can live and work in the United States under a variety of work visas, each of which meets specific requirements. If you want to work in the US, you must be aware of the requirements for these visas. Getting a temporary (non-immigrant) or permanent (immigrant) worker visa—each type designed for the varied job market—is the main route for immigrants to find employment in the US.

For many foreign workers who are hopeful, navigating the complicated terrain of US immigration and employment laws can be intimidating. It might be easier for job seekers to navigate the immigration process if they have a thorough understanding of the procedures, which range from obtaining a labour certification to changing status after arrival. Understanding the immigration procedure is essential for a smooth transition, regardless of whether you are an organisation looking to sponsor someone or an individual looking for opportunity.

  • There are distinct categories of work visas in the US for immigrant job seekers.
  • The application and immigration process can be intricate and require careful attention to detail.
  • Familiarity with visa requirements and the immigration process is critical for hopeful immigrants and sponsoring employers.

Types of US Work Visas

Based on the nature of employment, the abilities of the worker, and international agreements, the United States offers several categories for work visas. These are some of the several work visas you may want to think about if you want to work in the United States.

H-1B: Specialty Occupations

The H-1B visa is designed for skilled professionals in specialty occupations that typically require a bachelor’s degree or higher. Fields like IT, finance, engineering, and healthcare often use this visa type.

H-2A: Temporary Agricultural Workers

When there is a lack of domestic labour, foreign citizens with H-2A visas may enter the country temporarily or seasonally to undertake agricultural labour or services.

H-2B: Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers

When there aren’t enough local workers to cover employment in the hospitality, construction, or landscaping industries, firms can use the H-2B programme to import foreign nationals to the United States for temporary work.

L-1: Intracompany Transferees

The L-1 visa is the best option for foreign workers who are being transferred to a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same business in the United States. It is intended for people with specialised knowledge or those in management or executive roles.

O-1: Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

Those with exceptional skill or performance in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or those with a track record of great achievement in the film or television sector, are eligible for the O-1 visa category.

E-2: Treaty Investors

E-2 visas are available to investors from countries that maintain a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S. Applicants must be coming to the U.S. to invest in a new or existing enterprise.

Immigration Process for Job Seekers

Understanding the immigration process specifically designed for job seekers is crucial if you’re looking into employment opportunities in the US. This process involves getting labour certification, applying for a visa, attending an interview, and adjusting your status to become a permanent resident.

Labor Certification

To begin working in the United States, one must first obtain a labour certification. To make sure there are no suitable US workers available for the post you’re being given, the Department of Labour (DOL) requires this certification for certain employment-based visa categories. Find out more about the PERM (Permanent Employment Certification) process administered by the DOL, wherein your business must attest to their unsuccessful attempts to hire domestically.

Visa Application and Interview

The real visa application process is the next step after obtaining your labour certification. This entails your employer submitting an Alien Worker Immigrant Petition on your behalf. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services describes five employment-based immigrant visa preferences. After petition approval, you will apply for the visa and be scheduled for an interview with a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Adjustment of Status and Permanent Residency

Once you have your visa and are working in the United States, you may be able to change your status to that of a lawful permanent resident (LPR), which is also referred to as getting a Green Card. Your employment-based category will affect this process’s timetable and particular phases. Get facts on the employment-based Green Card eligibility categories, which include skilled individuals in advanced degree-requiring professions and priority workers with exceptional abilities.